Is one of your favorite things about camping lying on the ground, gazing up at the stars on a clear night? Perhaps you love to look out for shooting star in the milky way, that you can wish on? If you’re looking for a tent that has a window or flap on the top, which can be opened for stargazing, then read on. This article will give you details of the best tents for stargazing.
Top Five Tents for Stargazing
Here’s our hand picked list of the best tents for stargazing. If you’re in a hurry, you can use our quick picks box directly below.
Top Pick One: CORE 9 Person Instant Cabin Tent – 14’ x 9’
- INSTANT SETUP: The tent body with pre-attached poles that lock into place creates a setup time as short as 2 minutes.
- WEATHER PROTECTION: H20 Block Technology combines water-repellent fabrics with a fully taped rainfly and sealed seams to resist rain.
- ADJUSTABLE VENTILATION: Lower air intake vents draw in cool air from the ground while the mesh ceiling allows hot air to escape.
- MULTIPLE ROOM CAPABILITY: An included room divider can be used to create 2 rooms.
- INTERIOR ORGANIZATION: Keep small items off the floor with the conveniently located storage pockets.
If you’re looking for a large family tent and you want to teach the kids about the stars and the milky way, the CORE 9 Person Instant Cabin Tent may be for you. This tent has a rainfly that can be removed on warm summer nights to reveal views of the stars through a ceiling panel.
This CORE instant cabin tent is simple to put up and is big enough to sleep a large family of up to nine people. The tent is very durable, waterproof, and can stand up to strong winds. It also has an advanced venting system, which helps air to circulate through the rooms naturally. Other features include an adjustable air intake vent and a large mesh ceiling.
- Can be instantly set up in just 60 seconds.
- Sleeps nine people and has a center height of 78”
- Has adjustable ground vents
- Includes a room divider
- Features storage pockets to keep personal items off the floor
- Has an electrical cord access port
- Comes with a rain fly, stakes, and a carry bag for storage
- The zippers are a bit fiddly. The fabric is also prone to being caught in the zipper, which causes it to jam.
Top Pick Two: TETON Sports Mountain Ultra Tent
- STAY DRY Waterproof rainfly with a 360degree ventilation system for optimal air flow that allows a cool, comfortable night’s sleep; 1 to 4 person camping tents available
- ROOM WITH A VIEW Get away from the city lights and enjoy a full view of the Milky Way; Full dome mesh top allows for an amazing stargazing experience
- EASY TO SET UP Lightweight tent packs down tight for backpacking hiking and camping; Micro mesh inner tent with perfect fitting waterproof rainfly
- PACKS UP EASILY When it’s time to head home the Mountain Ultra Tent is a quick hasslefree take down
- TETON SPORTS PROMISE Reach out to our AMAZING product support team if you have any questions or concerns; YOU CAN COUNT ON US to get you taken care of and back OUTDOORS with TETON Sports
The TETON Sports tent is very comfortable and is designed to withstand all types of weather. It comes with a fully waterproof rain fly and has a well-designed stay dry system and also has adequate ventilation.
This fantastic dome tent also has a rainfly, which, when removed, will reveal a mesh top that allows you to view the Milky Way from the comfort of your sleeping bag. The tent is very lightweight and easy to set up, making it perfect for hiking and backpacking.
- Available in a variety of sizes to sleep between one and four people
- Built-in ventilation system
- Fully waterproof and wind-resistant
- Has a gear loft and storage pockets
- Very simple to set up
- Not much room for gear, other than small personal items.
Top Pick Three: Teton Sports Mountain Ultra Tent; Backpacking Tent
- STAY DRY: Waterproof rainfly with a 360-degree ventilation system for optimal air flow that allows a cool, comfortable night’s sleep; 1 to 4 person camping tents available
- ROOM WITH A VIEW: Get away from the city lights and enjoy a full view of the Milky Way; Full dome mesh top allows for an amazing stargazing experience
- EASY TO SET UP: Lightweight tent packs down tight for backpacking, hiking and camping; Micro mesh inner tent with perfect fitting, waterproof rainfly
- PACKS UP EASILY: When it’s time to head home the Mountain Ultra Tent is a quick, hassle-free take down
- TETON SPORTS PROMISE: Reach out to our AMAZING product support team if you have any questions or concerns; YOU CAN COUNT ON US to get you taken care of and back OUTDOORS with TETON Sports
The Teton Sports Mountain Ultra Tent is perfect for the single hiker or backpacker who wants to watch the stars. It’s very durable and lightweight, which allows you to carry it easily while hiking. This tent has a total weight of 3.3 pounds.
If you’re planning to use this tent for stargazing, you’ll have to remove the outer rainfly, which will give you amazing 360 views of the surrounding area. The tents inside layer is made from mesh which will keep out insects and allow you to watch the sky.
This tent also has a vestibule where you can store your bags.
- There’s an inside, micro-mesh layer which reduces condensation and keeps out insects
- This tent is very durable and has heat taped seams to make it wind resistant.
- A very spacious tent considering it only sleeps one.
- Comes with a storage bag
- Has a roof loft where you can store extra gear
- The vestibule doesn’t have a floor
- There aren’t any windows
Top Pick Four: Kelty Unisex’s TN 3 Dome Tent, Green, 3 Person
- Stargazing Fly
- Compact folding pole
- Tent Cube carrying bag
- Hug-clip technology
Kelty Unisex’s TN 3 Dome Tent is great for stargazing as it has a rollback rain fly, which is also completely removable. If you decide to take the rain fly off, you’ll have a 360-degree view of the milky way. This tent is also available as a two-person, which would be a great tent for a romantic night watching the stars.
The Kelty unisex tent is easy to put up and comes with a storage bag. It’s lightweight and hardwearing. The packed weight is 4.9 pounds, so it’s also perfect for hiking.
- Has a rollback stargazing fly
- Easy to set up has a compact folding pole
- Comes with a carrying bag
- Uses hug-clip technology for easy assembly
- The guide lines aren’t strong enough if it’s windy.
Top Pick Five: MSR Hubba Hubba NX 2 Person Backpacking Tent
- 3-season, 2-person backpacking tent that offers the most livable accommodations in a lightweight freestanding design
- Pole geometry maximizes space with 29 sq. feet of floor area, interior peak height of 39 inches, plus 17. 5 sq. feet of vestibule area
- Complete setup weighs 3. 9 lbs. and packs down to 18x6 inches; minimalist setup option uses footprint, poles, and rainfly and weighs 3. 5 lbs.
- Includes DuraShield Coating and DAC Featherlike NFL poles
- Includes tent, one unified hub-and-pole system, rainfly, stakes, and guy lines; footprint sold separately; manufacturer’s 3-year limited
If you’re looking for a romantic hideaway where you can spend the night star gazing with your significant other, you may like to consider the MSR Hubba Hubba NX 2 Person Backpacking Tent. This tent has a rain fly that can be rolled back or removed to reveal an inner mesh through which you can watch the milky way.
This tent has been made with quality in mind, its hard wearing and is made from a rip-stop nylon. It weighs just 3 pounds 7 ounces, which is great if you’re planning to walk around until you find the best stargazing spot.
- Has a large see-through mesh top: great for stargazing
- The poles are made with durable aluminum
- It’s a spacious tent
- Two large vestibules
- Hard to set up on windy days
The Best Tents for Stargazing: Buying Guide
There are many tents on the market which have been designed explicitly for stargazing. These types of tents will have a window or a removable panel in the ceiling through which you can view the milky way. Most tents have a rain fly and an inside mesh layer. If your tents like this, you can remove the outer rain fly, and you’ll be able to stargaze. Just remember to put the rainfly back on before your family goes to sleep; otherwise, you’ll get wet if it rains during the night.
If there’s a clear night predicted and no rain has been forecast, you may decide to sleep with the rain fly off your tent for the whole night. This will provide you with greater ventilation and is excellent if you’re camping in a hot climate.
There are a few things that you should consider if you’re looking to purchase a tent for stargazing. As with choosing any tent, you need to consider its size and the material it’s made from. Stargazing tents are available in a variety of sizes, from tiny one-person tents to large family-sized cabin tents.
This is great if you want to show your kids the milky way and teach them about star constellations. Stargazing is educational and can help smaller children to practice their counting. Older kids and teenagers will enjoy learning about the constellations, and this will fire up their imaginations. Kids love to explore the natural environment and will be amazed by how many stars they can see, especially if you usually live in a city with light pollution.
Looking at the stars is romantic, so you may like to choose a two-person, star gazing tent and take your partner camping. Watching the stars and looking for shooting stars with your significant other is very romantic and will allow you to talk and grow closer.
You should use the above information as a guide to help you choose the best stargazing tent. You’ll need to make sure that the tent you choose has an adequate opening, which is covered in mesh as this will allow you to see the stars while at the same time keep insects out.
You should also choose a tent that’s durable in case you’re stargazing on a windy night—watching the stars can be a very peaceful and relaxing experience.
Don’t forget to make a wish if you see a shooting star!
Last update on 2022-10-23 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API