Choosing the best backpacking fishing pole, combo, or reel is a daunting task. One has to consider some factors like the fish you intend to catch, their estimated weight, and the type of water you will go fishing. For survivalists and backpackers, your choice can determine whether you will get a meal or sleep hungry. A lightweight backpacking fishing poles give you full-size functionality in a lightweight and compact package.
Typically, most fishing rods and reels are compact, easy to assemble, dissemble, and cast. If you are keen when buying a backpacking fishing pole, there are choices for beginners and experts too.
Best Backpacking Fishing Pole: Quick Picks
Backpacking Fishing Poles: Reviews
Here are our picks for the best fishing poles for backpacking.
1. A full kit of PLUSINNO Telescopic Fishing Rod and Reel Combos
- 🎣 It's the best gift to send father, son, husband, fiancé, boyfriend for the upcoming Christmas.
- 🎣 Perfect elasticity, high density Carbon fiber mixed with fiberglass makes your fishing pole hard & durable.
- 🎣 Aluminum Oxide Guide Inserts; Closed Length: 45 cm 17.7 inches. Opened Length: 2.7 M 8.86 Ft; Weight:8 oz; Section: 9.
- 🎣 Stainless Steel Hooded Reel Seat is anti-seawater corrosion; EVA Fore Grip for comfort. Attractive design, skillful manufacture and sophisticated technology provide superior touch feeling for the telescopic fishing rod....
- 🎣 The telescopic fishing rods are portable, and closed length design is convenient carrying around. Power: Medium.
PLUSINNO fishing rod is an excellent choice for novice fishers because its material is a high-density carbon fiber mixed with fiberglass. These materials make the PLUSSINO fishing pole highly elastic. Also, the fishing rod has an EVA foregrip to provide comfort and smooth handling while fishing.
This backpacking fishing pole is ideal for fishing on lakes, seas, and boat fishing. If you like traveling, the PLUSINNO fishing pole is suitable for traveling because it has a padded zipper case that is not only lightweight but also waterproof. The included tackle box is an added advantage with accessories like heavy-duty work hooks, bass jig, multiple lures, heads, and several beads.
- Very lightweight
- Ideal for a car combo or backpack
- The fit and finish seem perfect
- Great to catch small fish as well as larger fish if you are up to the task
- There are no details about the rod, i.e., there is no information on whether it is medium-light or light, lure weight, among other details.
- The nuts that hold the rod and reel seem to get loose after every fishing trip.
2. Magreel Telescopic Fishing Rod & Reel Combo Set
- ▶ Premium Fishing Rod: This fishing rod is well-made from 24T Carbon Fiber with stainless steel hooded reel seat, which is durable and corrosion-resistant. Stainless steel line guide ring constructed with ceramic ring makes heat...
- ▶ Extra Smooth Reel: Exquisite aluminum spool with double color, wooden knob, interchangeable right/left hand foldable metal handle. With extra-smooth performance, it’s great for large gamefish. Powerful 5.2:1 gear ratio, line...
- ▶ Multiple Accessories: This fishing poles kit includes: 1* telescopic fishing rod+ 1* fishing reel+1*EVA carrier bag+1*120m fishing line+1*tackle of fishing lures & accessories.
- ▶ Portable to Carry: Spinning fishing rod and reel combos with EVA carrier bag is lightweight and convenient to take, easily fits your backpack, trunk or boat. Enjoy wonderful fishing trip any time!
- ▶ Fishing gear and equipment after-Sale Service: After fishing, wipe rod gently with a towel that is wrung with water and then clean the stains on each section. If you have any problem please contact us and we will solve it for...
This fishing rod has a flexible fishing rod that functions smoothly. Also, the Magreel backpack fishing rod is easy and quick to assemble or disassemble. If you want a fishing pole that is easy to use, this is an ideal choice. For beginners, the backpack has several accessories like lures and starter hooks. If you want to catch rock bass, smaller catfish, smallmouth, or bluegills, Magreel is an excellent choice.
- Lightweight thus easy to fit in a boat backpack or car truck
- Vast application, i.e., can be used in both fresh and salty water
- Available with multiple sizes
- Portable, i.e., the telescopic rods are easy to carry
- The handle is a little short. The handle should be extended to about 6’’ to improve comfort and reel weight.
3. Penn Fierce II and Fierce III Spinning Reels & Fishing Rod Combos
- PENN FIERCE III 9’ FISHING ROD AND REEL SPINNING COMBO: Power and performance to win combat with the toughest fish.
- SUPERIOR CONSTRUCTION: 2-piece, Graphite Composite rod offers a durable and break-resistant yet lightweight tool for any angler. Type Split EVA/Rubber Shrink Tube handle is made for Right/Left handed anglers.
- RECOVERY RATE: Recovers at the rate of 41” | 104cm with every turn of the crank. Gear ratio of 5.6:1. Techno-balanced rotor provides smooth line retrieval. Max drag: 25lb | 11.3kg. Mono capacity yd/lb: 335/15 230/20 210/25....
- 15-30LB LINE RATING, MEDIUM HEAVY POWER, MODERATE FAST ACTION, lure rating of 1-3. Features 6 one-piece PENN Dura-Guides to provide a durable, stamped solution for the heat and tension of stressed lines.
- 5 TOTAL BEARINGS: 4+1 stainless steel ball bearing system with instant anti-reverse feature provides smooth operation for any fishing experience.
Its durability, high performance, and quality are the three main reasons why most people buy the Penn Fierce brand. This backpacking fishing pole is useful in catching large fish ranging from 10lbs to 100lbs! The rod’s excellent drag makes Penn Fierce fishing pole combo effective and consistent. The stability helps you focus on catching fish instead of adjusting the reel or rod frequently.
- High max drag
- Versatile gear ratios
- Easy to adjust the drag
- Rugged construction
- Good retrieval rates
- Great balance despite its weight
- Decent line lay
- It is a bit heavy
- The cast is not excellent
- The drag locks up at the high end of the range
4. Daiwa Mini System Mini spin Ultralight Spinning Reel & Rod Combo
- Terminal tackle not included
- Ultra compact hard case
- Perfect size for tucking in your luggage
- Designed for anglers on the move, compact tackle setup comes in its own hard case, and is ideal for stowing in luggage, backpacking, or keeping under a car seat
- Ultralight MS-S500T reel with smooth, ball bearing drive, multi-disc drag, 5.1-to-1 retrieve, GyroSpin balancing, and Twist Buster line twist reduction
This backpacking fishing rod has a multi-disc drag reel, Gyrospin technology, and a ball bearing system. The combination yields a perfect rod, case combo, and spindle for both new and experienced fishers. The fishing rod is popular with campers because it can easily catch trout and 3lbs fish. The backpacker has a tackle box that provides weights, hooks, floats, swivels, and live baits to make fishing easy.
- Lightweight & compact kit
- Easy to assemble and disassemble
- Light lures & excellent castability
- The carrying case makes it easy for fishers and campers to travel with
- Affordable price
- The rod is durable, great size, and has a good design
- The reel is smooth and easy to use
- The anti-reverse may not work properly.
- The reels on the fishing pole might get tangled up when you are reeling in
- Poor line memory
What Makes a Great Backpacking Fishing Pole?
Since fishing poles tend to be long and heavy, backpacking fishing poles make hiking and traveling fun and easy. Some of the factors that make backpacking fishing poles excellent include:
The weight of a fishing pole is essential for hikers and backpackers. When buying backpacking fishing gear, consider the total weight of the reel, rod, carrying cases, and other accessories.
2. Size and portability
It is crucial to choose a fishing pole that’s easy to carry around. The pole should be easy to disassemble to ensure it attaches to your bag or fits in your backpack. You do not have to carry the fishing rod by hand! There are numerous choices that you can either attach or carry inside your bag, thus saving valuable space.
In addition to portability, consider storage when buying a fishing pole. Determine whether the fishing pole can fit in your travel bag, if it has a storage case or bag and if there are additional accessories. Economizing on space is recommended when hiking or backpacking.
4. Ease to set up
How long does it take to assemble your fishing pole? Telescopic fishing poles that are easy to open or close even in small spaces, e.g., in a small kayak, are the best. The accessories can determine how fast you can set up a fishing rod. Ergo, thorough research is needed to make the right choice.
5. Type of water
The type of water you plan to fish in can determine the backpack fishing rod to buy. While some fishing rods can be used both in fresh and salty waters, others are used only in one. For example, if a fishing pole is to be used in freshwaters, using it in salty water will reduce its lifespan.
The best backpacking fishing pole is going to be super light and easily transported.
Last update on 2022-10-23 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API