If you have a flower bed, you may have dealt with pesky mushrooms popping up beneath the blooms. But what exactly are mushrooms, and why do they choose to come up in some places but not others?
Below you will find all of the information you need to get to know this fascinating fungus and how to deal with it.
What Are Mushrooms?
The mushrooms that you can see growing out of your yard are the reproductive members of the fungi. They produce millions of spores that get spread around your yard and can pop up while you aren’t looking.
It’s hard to say exactly how many types of mushrooms there are in the world, but most studies estimate over 10,000.
Will Mushrooms Harm My Flowers?
Mushrooms are generally harmless and won’t be detrimental to any of your plants or flowers. The worst that can be said for most of them is that they are an eyesore. In fact, there are a few good reasons to let them grow alongside the plants:
- They can help break down compost in your garden, making it easier for your plants to get beneficial nutrients.
- They are a sign that your garden is healthy and thriving.
- Mushrooms are also a great food source for many wild animals, including birds, squirrels, and deer.
When Should Mushrooms Be Removed?
There are a few scenarios in which you may need to have the mushrooms in your yard eradicated. Mushrooms that are toxic need to be taken care of immediately, especially if there are curious pets or children outside.
There is also the issue that they are unsightly. Not everyone wants their pristine garden interrupted by mushrooms. There is also an opportunity that animals will come along and ruin the flowers trying to get at the mushrooms.
If you do have mushrooms in your flower bed that you want to get rid of, here are a few different methods to achieve this end:
- Remove organic matter. Mushrooms tend to grow where there is plenty of nutrition in the form of decaying matter.
- Try drying out the soil or letting some direct sunlight reach your plants. Mushrooms tend to grow in dark, wet areas.
- Aerate the lawn to get some fresh air down to the roots.
- Try a commercial fungicide to help control the population.
- Use dish soap as a natural alternative to fungicide.
- If you only have a few mushrooms to deal with, you can try simply removing them by hand. If you’ve gone through a particularly wet season, there’s a good chance they won’t return as the weather dries up.
Can I Use the Mushrooms in My Flowerbed?
If you are a fan of mushrooms, it’s reasonable to wonder whether or not you can use the mushrooms that pop up in your flower bed.
While reducing waste and being creative with your meals is a respectable endeavor, you will need to take a lot of caution when trying the mushrooms you find in your yard.
Mushrooms that you can’t identify are not always toxic, but that doesn’t mean that they are good to eat. Their texture can be unpleasant, as well as the taste. There’s also a greater risk of eating mushrooms infected with pesticides. This mistake can be fatal, so it’s best to avoid eating anything you’ll have found unless an expert clears it.
Finding mushrooms in your yard or flower bed can be an annoying experience, but it isn’t usually a problem. Unless they are attracting unwanted attention or otherwise disturbing you, you can rest assured that they won’t do any damage.