Creating a new garden can be labor-intensive, more so when breaking new ground is involved. The process may be quite tedious, but you can aim to make it a lot easier by using the most effective tiller. If this is your objective in 2020, then you take at our best tiller for breaking new ground list and get the tiller that will help you speed up the tilling process so you can move to the planting phase as soon as possible.
This review has contains a list of the 5 best tillers for breaking new ground, as well as a buyers’ guide that will help you narrow down on the most suitable tiller for the task at hand.
Yard Butler Twist Tiller
- LIFETIME GUARANTEE: Stop buying plastic or cheap metal products that don't hold up over the years. Yard Butler products are designed to last a lifetime and if you have a problem with our tools we make it right.
- LONG HANDLED GARDEN CLAW CULTIVATOR's step plate and wide 12 inch T handle uses the force of your body to easily rotate sharp angled claw tines into hard compacted soil.
- HANDHELD TWIST TILLER loosens, turns, tills, and aerates soil promoting the free flow of water, air, and fertilizer for a healthier and more beautiful yard and garden.
- HAND CULTIVATOR & CLAW WEEDER is ideal for mixing fertilizer or peat moss amendments and preparing raised bed for planting. Makes quick work of weeding.
- GARDEN HAND TILLER is heavy duty with powder coated durable steel construction to last multiple planting seasons. Measures 37 inches tall, 7 inches wide, and weighs 4.6 lbs.
The Yard Butler Twist Tiller is an absolute winner in our best tiller for breaking new ground list. This should be your top preference if you are on a very tight budget. Yard Butler, the manufacturing company behind this tiller is known for delivering quality and this product is proof of that.
It is 38 inches tall and has an ergonomic design that makes it easier for you to go about tiling activities. This tiller has a step plate located right at the center, in a bid to achieve maximum efficiency.
You can also benefit greatly from the T-handle, which serves its purpose by significantly minimizing the twisting effort. The tiller has very sharp tines, which go through the soil without much effort. Breaking through compact and dense earth is no big deal for the Yard Butler Twist Tiller. What can’t you do with 6 unbreakable tines?
The durable steel construction on this tiller guarantees its longevity. With proper use, you may probably never see the need for purchasing another tiller in a very long time. In addition to that, the steel construction is powder-coated to prevent the tiller from rusting.
What we like about Yard Butler Twist Tiller
- High-quality build
- Ergonomic design
- Cushioned hand-grips
What we do not like about Yard Butler Twist Tiller
- It may not be the best for extremely compact ground
Sun Joe TJ603E Electric Tiller and Cultivator
- [DURABLE]: 6 Steel angled tines for maximum durability and performance.Voltage (V) : 120. Maximum Extension Cord Length (ft.) : 100..Start Type : Switch. Rust Resistant : Yes.
- [EASY STORAGE]: Handle folds for convenient storage and easy transport
- [WHEEL-ADJUSTMENT]: 3-position wheel adjustment. Maintenance free
Sun Joe is also a renowned manufacturer of very high-grade garden machines that are efficient for various types of soil. You can, therefore, trust the Sun Joe TJ603E Electric Tiller and Cultivator to help you break new ground. This tiller comes with a 12 amp motor that is capable of powering it to do 340 rpm. The tiller extends to a width of about 16-inches, which is sufficient for most people who are doing the tilling.
This tiller has six steel-angled tines that very strong and durable. Since this tiller for breaking new ground is electric, its tines usually get a boost in their performance, hence giving you better results even in very dense soil. Also, the tines are long enough to dig up to 8 inches into the ground.
You can rely on the instant and safety switch to power the tiller on and off on demand. Since this unit does not need oil and gas, and all the frequent checks and maintenance, you can bank on it as the nest electric tiller if your objective is to break new ground.
What we like about Sun Joe TJ6OE Electric Tiller and Cultivator
- Durable and strong tines
- Trustworthy brand
- It is lightweight and compact
What we do not like about Sun Joe TJ6OE Electric Tiller and Cultivator
- It is not the most heavy-duty tiller for breaking new ground
Earthquake Victory 29702 CRT Kohler 196CC Rear Tine Tiller
- COMPACT POWER- The 196cc Kohler Engine delivers incredible sod-busting power in a compact frame which makes the Victory easy to handle without sacrificing performance. Counter rotating tines spin in the opposite direction of the...
- AIRLESS WHEELS- This model of the Earthquake Victory Tiller features airless wheels overcoming one of the most frustrating aspects of seasonal tilling- flat tires. The uniquely designed drive wheels composed of steel hubs with a...
- INSTANT REVERSE- Unlike almost every other standard rear-tine tiller, the Victory offers a solution for backing up that requires no shifting. At the end of a garden row or in tight spaces, simply pull the reverse lever and walk...
- HIGHLY MANEUVERABLE- With its compact frame and balanced weight distribution, the Victory allows for fluid navigation in tight growing spaces and stable pivoting capability at the end of garden rows.
- 5-YEAR WARRANTY- A bronze gear drive transmission, heavy duty forged tines, and all steel construction are all hallmarks of a tiller built to last. Because it is built to last, the Earthquake Victory is backed by a 5-year limited...
A significant number of people prefer to purchase a tiller for breaking new ground that is compact. This is exactly why the Earthquake Victory 29702C CRT Kohler 196CC Rear Tine Tiller is popular in the market- it is one of the most compact tillers for breaking new ground.
Most people have found this rear tiller quite effortless and intuitive to use. One of the main features that make this possible is its ability to cut across 16 inches of soil and to dig up to 10 inches into the ground. This is exactly what you need when you are breaking very dense new ground. Earthquake, the manufacturing company behind this tiller made it in such a way that it can also be used for small rows on land, and raised veggie beds, so it is definitely a very versatile piece of equipment to have.
The only thing you may not like about this tiller for breaking new ground is that it has plastic wheels which can at times provide quite hard to adjust. You may, however, still like the fact that you can use this tiller in freewheel mode.
What we like about Earthquake Victory 29702 CRT Kohler 196CC Rear Tine Tiller
- Very versatile
- It is quite stable and can move through rows easily
- Very compact
- Works effortlessly and intuitively
What we do not like about Earthquake Victory 29702 CRT Kohler 196CC Rear Tine Tiller
- Has hard-to-adjust plastic wheels
Schiller Grounds Care Mantis 7940 Tiller/ Cultivator
- Comes with a handy carrying handle
- Entire unit weighs Only 24-pounds
- Handle Bars fold down for easy storage
- 5-Year consumer Warranty
- Come with standard kickstand
This is one of the best tillers you will find in the market, in as far as maneuverability is concerned. The Schiller Grounds Care Mantis 7940 Tiller/ Cultivator is a gas-powered tiller from the well-known company, Mantis. It has a 25cc engine that is quite effective for use in extensive pieces of land. This tiller weights only 24lbs, making it one of the lightest tillers for breaking new ground.
This tiller has a finger-controlled throttle that you can use to vary its speed depending on how fast you want to get the work done or the ground you are tilling. With its curved tines, you can easily penetrate 10 inches of the ground, which is pretty much what you need if you need to break new ground with a tiller.
You can also benefit from purchasing this tiller in that it allows you to add a couple of attachments to it. With the attachments you add to it, you can turn this tiller into an aerator plow, a dethatcher, or even an edger.
What we like about the Schiller Grounds Care Mantis 7940 Tiller/ Cultivator
- It is very maneuverable
- Has folding handles
- Good ratings from users
What we do not like about the Schiller Grounds Care Mantis 7940 Tiller/ Cultivator
- It can be difficult to start at times.
Earthquake 31043 Badger Front Tine Tiller
No products found.
This is yet another excellent product from Earthquake, a company that has been serving its customers faithfully since the 1960s. This tiller is quite powerful, due to the presence of its 149cc 4 cycle Kolher engine.
This tiller features a gear-drive transmission and forged steel tines which work to the great good of their users, in making heavy-duty tilling possible. This machine will easily tear through the compact ground without extreme effort.
Not forgetting that it has an extra pair of large wheels that make it possible for you to maneuver through uneven land. This machine can cut in three widths, that is 11, 16, and 21 inches, depending on your tilling needs. This is probably one of the best tillers for breaking new ground in as stability is concerned.
What we like about Earthquake 31043 Badger Front Tine Tiller
- Has a durable steel chassis
- Reputable brand
- It is very stable
- Comfortable to handle
What we do not like about Earthquake 31043 Badger Front Tine Tiller
- Not the most compact tiller you will find in the market.
- The best tiller for breaking new ground buying guide (what to look for when purchasing the item)
Tiller Buying Guide
When it comes to the selection of the best tiller for breaking new ground that will fulfill your needs, then you need to consider the following:
Different tillers have different prices, thus it is essential for you to establish which price falls within your budget. Only spend what you can afford to at the moment.
The Size of Your Garden
Depending on the size of your garden, you can purchase a heavy-duty tiller or not. A large garden may need extra effort, and that will translate to you sourcing for the tiller that will cover more ground in the shortest time possible. The total tine width should guide you in selecting the most suitable tiller for your needs.
You should purchase a tiller that will work with a power source that is readily accessible and available. This is where you consider the power costs since they add up very quickly. There are gas-powered, electricity-powered, and manual options. Each of these power sources has its pros and cons which you have a look at before buying your tiller for breaking new ground.
Tillers with front tines are often lighter and weigh less in comparison to rear tine tillers. If the new groundbreaking activities are not very demanding, you can work with a front tine tiller.
Tillers with rear tines are mostly meant for heavy-duty tasks, breaking new ground being one of them. They are often heavier and need an engine to move around, but they also dig deeper. You can work with rear tine tillers if you are breaking a very dense ground.
With the best tiller for breaking a new ground list, we believe you are well-equipped to purchase your new piece of equipment that will help you complete the task at hand. You can have a look at the top features to consider in our buyers’ guide, to help you decide which tiller to buy if you haven’t decided. On the overall, this list is quite comprehensive and comprises of carefully selected tillers, so you cannot go wrong with the choice you settle on.
Last update on 2024-02-22 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API