Are you looking for some tips on how to mow your lawn if the grass is wet? While it’s better to leave your yard to dry out before cutting your grass, sometimes you may need to cut it wet. If you live in a cold and damp climate that has a lot of rain for much of the year, leaving your grass to dry out might not be an option. This article will look at four of the best mowers for wet grass and will also give you tips on how to cut wet grass.
Top 2 Push Mowers
Top Pick One: Greenworks 16-Inch 10 Amp Corded Electric Lawn Mower
- Greenworks, 10 Amp 16-Inch 2 in 1, Rear Bag or Mulch Electric Lawn Mower, Converts Easily from Rear Bag to Mulch, Model 25142
- 10 Amp electric motor delivers enough power to cut through touch grass. Assembled product weight: 48.0 Pounds
- Durable 16-Inch cutting deck gets the job done quicker and more efficiently
- 2-in-1 feature provides mulching and rear discharge capabilities
- 5 position height adjustment offers a range of cutting height from 5/8-Inch to 2-5/8-Inch for the perfect cut on all types of grass
If you’re searching for a lightweight and easy to use electric lawn mower then this Greenworks lawnmower might be right for you. It has a ten-amp electric motor that has enough power to cut through even the longest grass.
Weighing just forty-eight pounds, this push mower is easy to use. It has a durable 16-Inch cutting deck, which makes mowing less time-consuming.
- Has two in one features that provide mulching and rear discharge capabilities
- Adjusts to five different cutting heights between 5/8 of an inch to 2-5/8 inches
- Has a sixteen-inch cutting deck
- Has a cord length of 150 feet
- The switch gets a bit stiff after it’s been used for a while.
Top Pick Two: BLACK+DECKER BEMW482BH Electric Lawn Mower
- LIGHTWEIGHT CORDED ELECTRIC MOWER Gasless 12 Amp 17 inch electric mower for powering through rough grass
- COMFORT GRIP BIKE HANDLEBAR DESIGN Reduces friction and enhances maneuverability for small lawns
- ENHANCED CLIPPING COLLECTION Winged Blade yields 30% better clipping collection
- PUSH BUTTON START No-hassle startup easy-to- use features
- ADJUSTABLE CUTTING HEIGHT 6 adjustable cutting heights ranging from 1 inch to 3 inch
Black+decker is well known for designing and manufacturing good quality products that are durable and long-lasting, and this mower is no exception. This 12 amp, seventeen-inch electric lawn mower is easy to use and has a comfort grip handle. It is lightweight, making it easy to maneuver around objects.
This lawnmower has a winged blade that provides a 30% better clipping collection. The mower is easy to start and has six different height adjustments from one to three inches.
- Has a winged blade
- Fantastic clipping collection
- Can be used in tall grass.
- Great for use on 1/8 acres of land
- Push-button which starts the motor
- Can cut grass to six different heights between one and three inches.
- Comes with a two-year limited warranty
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Slightly cumbersome to use, especially for the older generation.
Top 2 Riders for Wet Grass
Top Pick One: Troy-Bilt Neighborhood Rider Riding Lawn Mower
- Powerful and dependable 382cc Troy-Bilt single cylinder engine with electric start
- 30in. cutting width with adjustable 1 1/4in. to 3 3/4in. cutting height offers compact, easy-to-maneuver rider performance
- Versatile 6-speed transmission allows you to mow at your own pace
- Manual PTO for fast and easy blade engagement
- 18in. turning radius for impressive maneuverability
This lawnmower is very powerful, even in long grass. It’s features make it durable, as it has a 382cc single-cylinder engine. The Troy-bilt lawn mower is fun and easy to use, it has a choice of cutting heights which you can use, depending on how long your grass is. You’ll be able to turn this machine in small spaces and can easily mow around objects as it has a turning radius of just eighteen inches.
- Works well, even in longer grass
- Has one 1/4inch to 3 3/4inches cutting height
- Compact and easy-to-maneuver
- Fun to use with excellent rider performance
- Has six speeds which means you can mow at your own pace
- Easy blade engagement
- 18inch turning radius
- Not much to complain about
Top Pick Four Simplicity 2691337 Broadmoor Mower, Riding, Tractor, Orange
- The exclusive rear suspension comfort System reduces the impact felt at faster mowing speeds. Plus, an ergonomic mesh Seat keeps you cool and comfortable.
- Simplicity's Signature Free Floating Mower Deck follows the contours of your lawn, providing an even scalp-free cut. The full-width rear rollers provide a smooth finish and allow you to create dramatic ballpark-style lawn stripes.
- With automatic controlled traction, drive power is continuously supplied to both rear tractor tires maintaining superior traction in all operating conditions.
- Everything you need is right on the Broadmoor's dash. Whether it's the clock, hour monitor, height-of-cut adjustment, or the easy-to-use push button start, you will be able to operate the Broadmoor with ease.
- Easily change the cutting Height with the simple moving of a switch. The electric height-of-cut lets you choose from 1. 0 to 4. 0-Inches.
The Broadmoor mower is durability as it has a rear suspension, which makes it very comfortable to ride. It’s also straightforward and fun to use and has a variety of mowing speeds. There’s also a well-designed seat which is very comfortable and has been designed to keep the driver cool and comfortable.
- Dash features a clock, height-of-cut adjustment, and start button
- Fun and easy to use, comfortable to ride
- Choice of cutting height between one and four inches
- More expensive than similar products, but worth it for a good quality product and a comfortable ride.
Tips for Cutting Wet Grass
You may be wondering whether it is sensible to cut your grass while it is wet. While cutting wet grass can be done, it is advisable to wait until your yard dries out, if at all possible. Some people may live in damp rainy climates and therefore have to cut wet grass. If this is the case, you can do a few things before cutting your damp grass.
Squeegee the Grass
If you can’t avoid cutting your grass while wet, you should first drag a hose pipe across your yard as this will ‘squeegee’ rain or dew off the grass. The grass will already be drier and will continue to dry quickly if you wait a couple of hours or so. If you don’t have time to wait, you can mow your lawn straight away.
Adjust Mower Height
You can also try adjusting the mowing height; this will help to reduce the load on the lawnmower. You’ll likely find that you need to empty your lawnmowers box more often than usual as the grass will be heavier when wet. Emptying it regularly means that the mower is carrying less weight, and it will be easier for you to push.
Lower your speed
While mowing, it’s advisable to lower your speed, as this will help to reduce the load on the lawnmower’s blades. One of the problems with cutting wet grass is that clogging is likely to occur. If this happens, you can use a hose to remove any grass that’s trapped. Don’t touch the blades without first unplugging your lawnmower.
Hose down your mower
When mowing wet grass, the grass will likely stick on the outside and inside of your mower. It’s, therefore, a good idea to hose down your lawnmower after use. Pay particular attention to the area around the blades. Once you’ve hosed down your lawnmower, you can stand it up vertically to allow air to circulate around its deck. Leave it in a well-ventilated shed or garage.
Don’t use an extension cord
It’s not advisable to use an electric mower if it needs an extension cord to reach the length of your yard. As you well know, water and electricity don’t mix. For this reason, it’s best to use a cordless lawnmower or a riding lawnmower if the grass is wet.
Make safety a priority when mowing your lawn in wet weather. It’s a good idea to wear long pants and shoes that have a good tread, as this will reduce the likelihood of slipping over. It would help if you also used protective eyewear as lawnmowers can throw up clogs of wet grass and even stones.
Remember that freshly cut wet grass is slippy, so be careful when cutting your grass. You should always wear the correct footwear as this will prevent slips from happening. If cutting your grass while it’s wet can’t be avoided, you should first squeegee it as this will remove much of the moisture.
Keep children and animals away from the lawnmower when cutting wet grass. Clumps are likely to be thrown up, and you don’t want to injure anyone. It’s also a wise idea to wear a protective eye visa.
Wet grass is likely to go into clumps, and these may be left all over your yard. You can rake them up when you’ve finished cutting the grass. Before cutting your grass, you may like to have a look for stones and remove other obstacles, as this will make it safer.
If at all possible, it would be better to leave your grass to dry out before cutting it as this is safer and would be easier for the lawnmower to handle.
Last update on 2022-08-07 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API